The SOSAD mental health service, which has seven centres in Ireland including one in Portlaoise, is in danger of closing due to a considerable shortage of funds.
With monthly running costs of approximately €55,000, it needs to raise €42,000 essentially immediately to remain offering its services.
The ‘Save our Sons and Daughters’ charity was set up more than 20 years ago by Drogheda man Peter Moroney following the death of his son Simon by suicide.
Relying on corporate donations, grants and fundraising, it is a non-profit organisation providing free professional counselling to people presenting with depression, low mood, suicidal ideation, self harm, anxiety, relationship difficulties, bereavement and some people who just want to talk.
It has seven centres in the country – Cavan, Drogheda, Dundalk, Navan, Kells, Monaghan and Portlaoise – and its shortage of funds was raised at the full meeting of Laois County Council this week by Portlaoise-based Labour councillor Marie Touhy.
The group has sought emergency funding from the Government in order to keep its doors open while it awaits an application for Section 39 funding from the HSE, something which would safeguard its future.
However, to date no funding has arrived and with ongoing low funds, its very existence is in danger.
“Last week alone SOSAD Laois has offered 108 counselling appointments to individuals in Portlaoise and surrounding areas,” said Cllr Touhy.
“In comparison, during the same week last year, 44 appointments were offered.
“The cost of delivering the service nationwide is approximately €55,000 per month. Every interventions is critical and maybe even life saving and always hopefully life-altering.
“The service is in crisis at the moment and unless the interim funding is fast tracked this service will end.
“I do not need to elaborate on the possible repercussions of this.
“Everyone has had some experience in this area whether directly or indirectly of the unspeakable devastation caused.
“I’m taking this opportunity to ask the community to donate to the Go Fund Me page which has been set up but critically I’m asking the Ministers stated in my motion to act as a matter of urgency.
“Undoubtedly this will have the support of our three TDs.”
Cllr Tuohy went on to add that mental health services has always struggled for the funding it needs.
“Mental health accounts for 5.7% of our total health spend and it needs to be doubled at least to meet best international standards and best practice,” she said.
“The state and the HSE continually pay lip service about mental health and well being but it’s never matched with resources or staffing of positions like psychologists or counsellors.
“The services and responsibilities are continually farmed out and to charitable or voluntary organisations.
“Suicidal ideation and mental health causes are not 9-5, Monday to Friday. They’re 24-7. Without timely intervention, lives are at risk. Lives are being lost.
“Help SOSAD stay open until it is in a position of security. It is time the Government puts its money where its mouth is and acknowledges and financially supports this service who are actively picking up the slack.”
“We keep everything to a minimum but it’s also because we are a volunteer-led charity,” said the SOSAD chief executive Carol Murphy earlier this year.
In all the group has six full-time and 10 part-time staff and relies on volunteers beyond that.
“We have no reserves, and we are basically working month-to-month, but could close at any stage. It has never been this bad,” she added.
“It has been so hard for people in the past 18 months, in particular, as donations are falling off everywhere; we have no cash flow.”
“Our funding goes into our overheads, utilities, insurance, computers, software, and hardware. We take the salaries for that small group of staff and that is it.”
You can donate to the GoFundMe page here.
SEE ALSO – LoveLaois Podcast: Austin Stack on his new book ‘Justice for My Father’